New York Fashion Week has arrived, and with the Spring 2014 collections are hitting the runways. We're kicking off the celebration with our top 5 facts you should know:
1. You can tell it's New York Fashion Week by the style of the strut. Runway models actually walk differently depending on the city. In New York City, models generally walk in a quick, staccato style, whereas Paris Fashion Week models move more slowly and smoothly.
2. The same person, Ruth Finley, has been in charge of New York Fashion Week's calendar for the past 65 years. Ruth has been compiling all of of New York Fashion Week's events into one comprehensive guide — from the runway shows themselves, to after parties, and more recently, livestreams — since 1945.
3. You cannot buy tickets. Space is so tight, New York Fashion Week's tickets typically only go to celebrities, editors and fashion industry insiders; the whose who of fashion.
4. Designers pay for their own fashion shows. At Lincoln Center, the cost of just renting the venue ranges from around $15,000 - $50,000. And that doesn't include the cost of hiring stylists, makeup artists, hair stylists, and everything else that goes into making a runway show look effortless.
5. Runways are designed to acommodate the number of VIP's in attendance - not the other way around.
New York Fashion Week begins September 5th and runs until September 12th. Make sure to tune in for all the upcoming Spring 2014 trends of the season!
For more information: http://huff.to/1cFKrTn
Roberto Cavalli’s Fall 2013 collection looks to Florence, Italy, the city where Roberto Cavalli was born and where he still lives and works, for inspiration from Renaissance paintings, colors and most of all decorations. Prints on fabrics recreate the appearance of the carbon sketching technique used by Old Masters for drawings, while adding strong colors of red, yellow and blue.
The collection ranges from tailored suits and outwear to sensual silhouettes of gowns. The sheath dresses with the simplest shapes are decorated and enriched by engineered prints to highlight a woman's body.
Fabrics range from precious brocade silk velvet to opaque jersey in a lightweight and fluid wool while precious alpaca jacquard, cashmere and mohair are used for coats and jackets.
This collection is available at the Roberto Cavalli boutique at The Shops at Crystals.
Collection IV (affectionately referred to as the Grunge collection) features several collaborations with local California artists including hand-printed motorcycle jackets, hand-embroidered capes limited edition t-shirts and the classic Sac de jour tote. Key styles of the Men’s Fall/Winter collection include a vast array of boots, the return of iconic sneakers, the leather jacket and denim.
The Women’s Sac de jour tote is a structured and simply-detailed leather carryall reflecting new designer Hedi Slimane's exacting minimalism point of view yet it will last for seasons to come.
The Fall/Winter 2013 collection is available at the Saint Laurent boutique inside The Shops at Crystals.
“I am a New York woman, embracing the world. Designing clothes that move day to night. This collection is the evolution of the seven pieces.”
Evening paints the body with artisan strokes-- From the simplicity of a jersey body that sculpts the form, to the heights of luxury in velvets, satins and sequins; each an individual force of artistry and seduction.
“These are clothes for women like me- who live and work 24/7 with passion and dress with emotion. I believe the body talked a language all its own. Depending on your DNA, these clothes say something new every time and create a statement all your own.”
Experience this collection at the Donna Karan boutique inside The Shops at Crystals.
Paul Smith’s Men’s and Women’s Autumn/Winter 2013 collections have finally arrived! The Women’s collection is packed with rich texture and vibrant colour - a combination that offers a contemporary twist on sartorial classics. As for the Men of Paul Smith, AW13 presents a collection rich in texture and touched with modernity.
Experience the beautiful Autumn/Winter 2013 collection at the Paul Smith boutique at The Shops at Crystals.